Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Meat Pops

Well, after Natalie's delicious lamb chops yesterday, I was feeling quite deprived. Unfortunately, I picked the wrong day for a restless craving. Or had I? I skipped out of work early for nine holes of golf and by the time I got home the butcher would be closed. Trader Joe's, however, is open late. I picked up a rack of lamb, TJ's own blend of Israeli couscous, orzo and red quinoa, and frozen vegetables. I was home and at the table in under an hour. I don't see it as cheating. TJ's sells a superior product. They're conscientious and look for goods that are free of additives and artificial ingredients. And besides, I am not a true believer; death to all extremists is my motto.
 
Trader Joe's Harvest GrainsThe lamb went into a 350° pre-heated oven for 25 minutes (for medium-rare chops). Not one to leave well enough alone, I spruced up the starch with a little heat from dried chilies. I sweated chopped chilies for about a minute in about a ½ tsp of olive oil, then followed directions on the package for the rest of the cooking. Once the lamb came out of the oven and was resting, I sautéed the vegetables in a pan with a little oil for about 6 minutes, sliced the lamb and arranged everything on a serving platter and documented the meal for posterity. Start to finish: 30 minutes, tops. Tucked away in the wine cave was one last bottle of Storrs Petit Syrah. Craving satisfied.
 
Sweat the dry chilies
 
Add cooking liquid (chicken broth)
 
Bring to a boil
 
Add grains, cover and simmer
 
Sauté frozen vegetables 5 minutes before serving time.
 
Medium-rare rack of lamb
 
Lamb chops with mixed vegetables and grain blend
 
A meal fit for a bachelor
 
We confirmed bachelors often cook for one. It doesn't have to be takeout or come with instructions to "fold back foil to reveal tater tots". Nor do you have to dirty every dish in the kitchen. Deprivation is for the unimaginative or the criminally lazy.
 
 
Thanks for taking the time - Blog O. Food
 
 

No comments: