Wednesday, November 18, 2009

1. 2. 3.

Five championships down, four to go. It's been kinda fun coming up with something quick to eat and worthy of a blog post all at the same time. If not for You Gonna Finish That?, I'd be eating cereal or PB&Js, and who wants to read about that? But here's something I found in a British food magazine while abroad this summer. More of a brunch item, or an h'or d'oeuvre, but it falls into the cherished cheese category, so what the heck. The hardest part of the recipe was the conversion from metric to imperial units.
 
Bake herb Ricotta - adapted from Waitrose Food Illustrated
  • 16 oz Ricotta cheese, drained
  • ¼-cup Grana Padana cheese, finely grated
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1½ Tbsp dried basil
  • Olive oil
  • 1 whole garlic clove
  • Whole grain or sourdough bread
Beat cheese, egg and herbsSpread cheese in a loaf pan
Bake until puffed and brownServe on toasted sourdough with salad on the side
 
Beat. Spread. Bake.
In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the cheeses, eggs and basil to combine. Spread into a greased loaf pan or mold and bake in a 375° pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheese rises a bit and begins to brown. Run a knife around the cheese to loosen and release cheese onto a platter. Serve on toasted sourdough drizzled with a little olive oil and rubbed with garlic cloves.
 
I never get to use my stand mixer. It usually spends its days as bulky kitchen decor, but I got it at a very good price, so don't really mind. I was thrilled to take it out for a spin. The baked Ricotta was so easy, it feels like cheating to write about it. I tossed a little leftover mesclun and avocado on the side, and I seem to be on a bit of a roasted tomato kick. But hey, I just go with the flow here. There's obviously some "higher power" in charge.
 
I wonder how this spread might be received on Chebeague next summer. We already have a baked brie appetizer. Is there room for another cheese dish at one of our cocktail hours? What am I saying! I'll run it by Muffy this winter to see if it passes muster. If FDA restrictions are less stringent around your house, pull this one out at the next grown up gathering.
 
 
Thanks for taking the time - Blog O. Food
 
 

1 comment:

Muffie said...

I love you and this sounds great!