Tuesday, April 20, 2010

One Pot Wonders

 
Ugh... Cooking for one again. I should just eat cereal. Or find a husband. Or join a cult. Or open a restaurant. I dunno, I can't decide.
 
The ingredients:
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Whole tomatoes
Tomato paste
Pine nuts
Black and green olives
Garlic
Vegetable stock
Spaghetti
Cube the chicken and brown it in batches in some peanut oil and a little butter. Season generously with kosher salt and cracked pepper.
Remove the chicken, soften some chopped garlic in the oil, then deglaze the pan with a little white wine.
Add the stock, whole tomatoes, tomato paste, toasted pine nuts and the browned chicken.
Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
Look how rich the sauce is already getting. Add sliced olives, some dried herbs (basil, thyme, bay leaves, parsley), cover and cook for 20 more minutes or until tomatoes soften.
Add dry spaghetti, stirring frequently until the noodles become pliable, then cover and allow to simmer until pasta is al dente.
Serve with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and a bottle of Pinot Grigio to help you forget you're eating alone.
 
Thankfully, my room mate showed up just as I was browning the chicken and he accepted my offer of a free meal. "It has a real soothing flavor," he announced after the first bite. I didn't press him for clarification, I was just grateful for the company.
 
 
Thanks for taking the time - Blog O. Food
 
 

No comments: