Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Rotisserie Chicken

Know who doesn't like rotisserie chicken? (Tell 'em, Matty.) Jerks, that's who. But how many of you have a spit in your home? Okay, how many of you live in New York City and have one? I thought so. Well, my muses at Canal House came up with a brilliant solution that works right in the oven. Everyone has an oven, right?
 
Rotisserie Chicken - adapted from Canal House Cooking
  • 1 whole roaster chicken, 5-6 lbs
  • 3-6 Tbsp olive oil
  • Salt
  • Fresh thyme
  • Fresh tarragon
  • Carrots, halved length-wise, then quartered
  • Heirloom potatoes, quartered
  • 2 medium yellow onions, quartered
  • 8 garlic cloves, peeled
  • Crusty bread
Evidently, copyright infringement laws preclude me from sharing the recipe, but see if you can put two and two together on your own from the helpful illustrations provided by yours truly. (Maybe I should copyright my own photos, but hey, I'm not bitter.)
Golden, crispy skinned.
Moist, fall-off-the-bone flesh.
Vegetables soaked in rich chicken fat and stock.
Herbally aromas permeating the entire floor of my building.
Now that's how you cook a chicken.
Thanks for taking the time - Blog O. Food

1 comment:

BigAssBelle said...

i bought a fat chicken just this morning, but i was thinking of roasting him upright on the grill. i'm a fan of can-up-the-ass chicken though generally use apple juice rather than beer. it pleases me to open the top and see a fat, upright bird all golden and crispy.