Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Shortcut to Penance

PolentaI have felt such the fraud all week. Posting hobby photos on a food blog! What was I thinking? I'm better than that, and you, my loyal readers, deserve better. So, even though it's a Wednesday, and I haven't had a day off since Easter, I rifled through the kitchen last night looking for something worthy of You Gonna Finish That?. I think you'll be pleased with what I was able to pull together in under an hour.
 
Scrounging through your cupboards can lead to some very rewarding discoveries. I just wasn't in the mood for anything last night until I pushed aside canisters of all-purpose and almond flours. There, tucked in the shadows, was my old friend polenta. I went the whole winter without a single dollop of "Italian grits". I simply couldn't believe it, and aimed to remedy that oversight posthaste. In the freezer were some scallops from Trader Joe's, shallots and garlic in what passes for my root cellar (bottom cupboard, wicker basket), a little Pinot Grigio from the night before... and just like that, voila, a menu!
 
Polenta
 
Polenta with sea scallops in white wine and shallots
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 1 cup polenta
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 4 Tbsp Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
  • 16 oz sea scallops, fresh or frozen (thawed)
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 2 shallots, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
  • 1 cup dry white wine
 
Whisk polenta into 2 cups chicken stock
Start by slowly whisking polenta into 2 cups chicken stock in a medium sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
 
Gradually add remaining broth to sauce pan
Gradually whisk the remaining stock into the pan. Bring to a boil, stirring briskly periodically. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 30 minutes until polenta is moist and creamy.
 
Whip in parmesan cheese off the heat
After 30 minutes, remove polenta from heat and whip in parmesan cheese and 2 Tbsp butter for a silky finish.
 
Finish with unsalted butter for a silky polenta
 
 
Rinse scallops under cool water, pat dry and season with salt & pepper
Meanwhile, rinse thawed scallops in a colander under cool water. Pat dry with paper towels and season with salt & pepper.
 
Sauté scallops in melted butter
Sauté in 2 Tbsp of melted butter over medium-high heat for 6 minutes.
 
Flip scallops 6 minutes into cooking
Flip scallops and cook for two more minutes. Remove scallops to a warm platter and keep covered loosely. Add shallots to sauté pan and cook for 2 minutes, add garlic and cook for another minute. Add white wine & herbs and de-glaze the pan, letting the sauce reduce by one quarter.
 
Polenta with sea scallops in shallots and white wine
Pour finished polenta into the middle of a serving platter and pile on the sautéed scallops. Top with the shallot and wine sauce and serve immediately.
 
 
Sweet, tender scallops. Salty, tangy polenta. Rich, sinful sauce. Start to finish: 51 minutes. And to think, I had takeout menus in my hand just an hour before. I'll never complain about having nothing to eat ever again.
 
 
Thanks for taking the time - Blog O. Food
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So how many does it serve? Man, it really grinds my gears when bloggers leave their loyal readers with unanswered questions... but i digress.
J.Vernon