Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My Favorite Things

The Laughing Cow logoAs you know, I am a simple sort of man. Every weekday morning, I rise early, put on a pot of coffee, peruse the headlines online and listen to NPR. An hour later, I make some breakfast, shower, dress and head out the door. Routines like this will help me when aggressive senility ultimate takes me down. In the mean time, they're comforting. They comfort me.

The only time the stove gets lit before 5pm is if I'm having oatmeal. Otherwise, straightforwardness and convenience are at the controls. I have two favorite breakfast customs. This is my 2nd favorite:
 
English muffin Frenchies (the Brits will love that one)
  • Whole wheat English muffins
  • Fresh organic tomatoes, sliced
  • La Vache Qui Rit® cheese
  • Salt & freshly ground pepper
  • Scalding hot coffee
I don't remember when I discovered La Vache Qui Rit. It seems to me I've been eating it forever, but I know that to be impossible. Whatever the case, it's just delicious and brilliantly packaged with little individually wrapped wedges in a cool little cardboard round. While I wasn't looking, some ad executive decided that the American audience was too stupid or lazy to figure out that la vache qui rit translates into "laughing cow", so marketing in the U.S. goes by the English moniker. I hate that. Give us a little more credit, why don't you. I think we can figure out that a cheese imported from France will probably have French words. Extrapolating from there, we just may be capable of deducing that they might have something to do with the happy cow on the label. Sorry. Sarcasm is another of my AM routines.
 
Anyway, cheese and salty tomato on toasted bread. Someone could market that. Give it a snappy (American sounding) name and make a million bucks. Or, you could go out an make some of your own, whether pressed for time in the morning or not.
 
English muffin, Laughing Cow and organic tomato breakfast
 
My absolute favorite breakfast tradition? Two soft-boiled eggs served in little porcelain cups, with lots and lots of buttered sourdough toast for dipping in the yolks, all eaten out-of-doors under a beautiful California summer sun with the San Francisco Chronicle spilling onto the ground all around me. Like I said, simple pleasures!
 
 
Thanks for taking the time - Blog O. Food
 
 

No comments: