Thursday, July 2, 2009

Popovers

The Hook at low tideOne thing about being a member of the Chebeague family, we will never ever go hungry. Fabulous cooks abound, along with every cook’s muse: enthusiastic eaters. Muffy is no slouch in the kitchen. An executive by day, she considers coming up with menus worthy of Bon Appétit Magazine as unwinding. She’s pretty much the queen bee in our cottage kitchen and reigns with a light, expert touch. Once everyone had arrived on the island this week, exquisite meals were churning out of the kitchen. Breakfast yesterday morning was no exception: buttermilk pancakes and fresh hot popovers.
 
Popovers – adapted from the New York Times Magazine
  • 6 large eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 6 Tbsp melted butter
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • Unsalted butter for greasing popover molds
Beat eggs lightly, add milk and melted butter and stir to combine. Sift flour & salt and gradually stir into eggs. Beat just until mixture is smooth. Do not overbeat. If the mixture is not smooth, strain it. Ladle batter into generously greased popover molds, filling almost to the top. Bake for 40 minutes in a 375° pre-heated oven. Do not open oven door during baking. Remove popovers from molds and serve with your favorite fruit preserve.
 
Popover ingredients
 
Muff makes everything look so effortless; so easy. Her popovers were amazing. Light, fluffy, and piping hot. Just a smear of raspberry preserves sent them over the top. The heavens shifted, angels wept. I am not kidding, they were that good.
 
Grease popover molds with butter Pour batter into molds
 
When Muffy’s mother Natalie found out I could cook, she moved mountains to get Muffy and me together in the same kitchen. We’ve been swapping recipes and upping the ante ever since. Muffy is the main inspiration behind this blog. She has pushed me to take my cooking so much more seriously. She’s fanned the flames of my passion and made sharing my efforts the real reward in writing about food. She’s made me a part of her family and encouraged my every effort. I owe her a real debt. She also owes me forty-eight, ninety-five for the popover pans I felt compelled to go out and order.
 
Popover fresh out of the oven Popover and raspberry preserves
 
 
 
Thanks for taking the time - Blog O. Food
 
 

No comments: